Thursday, December 09, 2004

Bread Crumbs 04.11.03

Okay, bear with me a bit, but I am about to oversimplify life. I am thinking this is a good day to get back to the womb...not literally of course, I would never fit.

To start off I just want to say is the thing that interests me the most about the online diary phenomenon are the threads that run through the entries. Sure everyone has their own style, verbiage, perspective of the world, and sure this does effect what it is that is poured in the writing, but haven't you noticed there are so many common themes. We are all trying to figure out the same shit.

I know that is so cliche', but there is a reason why. Because it is so affluent in our culture, in our cultures. It is odd that we don't talk about it much. We talk more about the weather or our things than about our world view, or more about our reality view.

I wonder, sometimes, if the reason why we leave so many internal concerns hidden is because we are afraid, when discussed, it will bring us back to our aloneness. We are so scared about being alone.

That reminds me of my favorite theme in the movie Donnie Darko, "We all die alone." When we think about this, or at least when I think about this; I can feel that hole in my gut...that feeling of falling.

We don't want to be alone, and we hate the cold...absence of warmth.

Okay, and now it is time for a nonsequitor, of sorts:

From 1953 until 1981 a silver-haired woman, who became known as Peace Pilgrim, spent her days and nights walking across the United States and back spreading her message of Peace.

She walked more than 25,000 miles (She stopped counting in 1964...kept walking till 1981), carrying in her blue tunic her only possessions. She crossed back and forth across the United States bearing the simplest of messages: This is the way of peace - Overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.

She walked as a "prayer." She vowed, "to remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of Peace. Her story is amazing, and urge everyone to learn about it. Some of her favorite 'lessons' are as follows:

On why it is not wise to attempt to overcome evil with evil:

"We need not reach out to tear down that which is evil because nothing which is contrary to God's laws can endure. All not-good things in this world are transient, containing within themselves the seeds of their own destruction. We can help them to fade away more quickly only insofar as we remain in obedience to God's law that evil must be overcome with good. Those who create something which is evil in order to overcome something else which is evil only double the evil."

Continuing on the groovy good train:

"In order to help usher in the golden age we must see the good in people We must know it is there, no matter how deeply it may be buried. Yes, apathy is there and selfishness is there - but good is there also. It is not through judgment that the good can be reached but through love and faith"

Continuing on with my favorites:

"Although others may feel sorry for you, Never feel sorry for yourself: it has a deadly effect on spiritual well-being. Recognize all problems, no matter how difficult, as opportunities for spiritual growth, and make the most of these opportunities."

The question was asked of her, "What do you think is the number one world problem?"

She answered, "The number one world problem is immaturity. We choose to live at a small fraction of our real potential. In our immaturity we are greedy: some grab more than their share so that others starve. In our immaturity we are fearful: we build up armaments against one another, resulting in war. If we work on world problems, we usually work on the symptom. I have chosen to work primarily at the level or removing the cause."

I am getting carried away here, but one last one for now:

Question: "What should I do when my life seems empty?"

"If your life seems empty, you have a wonderful opportunity. Most lives are already at least partially filled with not so good things. If your life seems empty, you have a wonderful opportunity to fill it with only good things."

That's it for that side-note. I just really wish more people knew about this lady. Some people are leading truly important, peaceful lives and we are too easy to turn to the destructive story lines. I wonder if we choose to focus on the war (war in general not THE war) because at least then it appears as if we are still fighting the good fight. And the fighting, especially on the internal scale, which I believe is a seed for the external wars, is what is keeping us from the good.

I need to go pick up a friend...I should end this for now. How lost are we? I think we can at least still see the bread crumbs...

Peace.

No comments: