Thursday, December 23, 2004

Happy Holidays...and other rare sightings.

D. and I are going to my mother's house today. We will be there until Sunday. Luckily mom has valium.

This is going to be the first year I won't be lugging bags of prezzies into the house for every member of the family. This year I'm the poor uncle. I keep flashing back to all of those holiday movies whose theme was it's the 'spirit' of Christmas that counts. Oh so vague. But, I'm going to give it a try. I haven't received a Xmas 'gasm since I was a child, so maybe this is the year...minus the presents...I'll find the true meaning of the Holiday season. And if all else fails...mom has Valium.

My father sent me a Christmas card. It sat on the coffee table for a couple of days, before I got up the inertia to open it. I haven't spoken to him in two years...and even when we did speak we never really said anything. As I mentioned in this entry my father has always been very good at buying presents, especially when we were children. When you don't grow up...it's quite easy to pick out something your kid will love, even if you don't really know them.

Inside the card was a check for $200. Instead of relief that now I will be able to cover this month's gas/electric bill, I was pissed that once again he feels he can just write a check and the last two years will be fine. It's hardest when you don't hate someone. When you hate them, at least you have fuel to feed the fire, but when it's indifference it's hard to get down to the meat of the issue.

Just one more adult kid bitchin' about a father figure.

Well, on that note I have to start making some little cards to go around what gifts I did make. We made a huge batch of Hot Chocolate mix and divided it up into canisters; one for each sister and their families.

Happy Holidays in a world that continues to amaze me for its ability to grow into an even bigger pile of crap...but hey we've got morals and good old fashioned family values. Thank ya baby Jesus!

I really do hope this next year will be a year of change. For the better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey..im looking fwd to reading!

neo
http://theyknew.diaryland.com

Anonymous said...

hi thanks for the note, happy holidays to you too! i will come back and see whatcha been up to..take care, xoxox, michael kstyle

Alyssa said...

Hey Jason! Just wanted to wish you a happy holiday saeson. Neet idea on the hot chocolate thing! My best wishes to you in the New Year! Mele Kalikimaka!